Group Assignment Scenario
Citizen’s Gas Company (CGC) provides natural gas service to 200,000 customers. The customer base is divided into the following three revenue classes:
Class Customers Sales in Cubic Feet Revenues
Residential 160,000 80 billion $160 million
Commercial 38,000 15 billion $ 25 million
Industrial 2,000 50 billion $ 65 million
Totals 145 billion $250 million
Residential customer gas usage is highly correlated with the weather. Commercial customer usage is partially weather dependent. Industrial customer usage is governed almost entirely by business factors.
The company buys natural gas from 10 pipeline companies in the amounts specified in contracts that run for 5 to 15 years. For some contracts, the supply is in equal monthly increments; for other contracts, the supply varies according to the heating season. Supply over the contract amounts is not available, and some contracts contain take-or-pay clauses. That is, the company must pay for the gas volume specified in the contract, regardless of the amount used.
To match customer demand with supply, gas is pumped into a storage field when supply exceeds customer demand. Gas is withdrawn when demand exceeds supply. There are no restrictions on the gas storage field except that the field must be full at the beginning of each gas year (September 1). Consequently, when the contractual supply for the remainder of the gas year is less than that required to satisfy projected demand and fill the storage field, CGC curtails service to industrial customers (except for heating quantities). The curtailments must be carefully controlled to prevent either an oversupply at year-end or a curtailing of commercial or residential customers so the storage field can be filled at year-end.
In recent years, CGC’s planning efforts have not been able to control the supply during the gas year or provide the information needed to establish long-term contracts. Customer demand has been projected only as a function of the total number of customers. Commercial and industrial customers’ demand for gas has been curtailed. This has resulted in lost sales and caused an excess of supply at the end of the gas year.
To correct the problems, CGC has hired a director of corporate planning. She is presented with a conceptual design for an information system that will help analyze gas supply and demand. The system will provide a monthly gas plan for the next five years, with particular emphasis on the first year. The plan will provide detailed reports that assist in the decision- making process. The system will use actual data during the year to project demand for the year. The president has indicated that she will base her decisions on the effect alternative plans have on operating income.
1. Discuss the criteria to consider in specifying the structure and features of CGC’s new system.
2. Identify the data that should be incorporated into CGC’s new system to provide adequate planning capability. Explain why each data item it is important and the level of detail needed for the data to be useful.
Format of the Report and important notes
1. You at least should have the following details:
a. Assignment Cover Page clearly stating your name and student number
b. A table of contents and executive summary
c. A brief introduction or overview of what the report is about.
d. Body of the report with sections to answer the above questions (ASSIGNMENT REQUIREMENTS 1 TO 2) and with appropriate section headings
f. List of references.
2. Diagrams and tables clearly labelled and explained.
3. Ensure all materials are correctly referenced. Plagiarism will be severely penalised.
4. Submission deadlines are strictly enforced and late submission incurs penalties of 5 (five) % of the assessment value per calendar day.
5. All assignments must be submitted electronically using a word processor, uploaded to Blackboard via SafeAssign. You must print and attach the full SafeAssign report with the Holmes Institute Cover Sheet to the printed assignment (hard copy).Note: ONLY one member of the group will submit the assignment to Blackboard via SafeAssign.
Currently 1 writers are viewing this order