You are supposed to read two or more books of the list I will provide below, and then do what the topic of the essay says (you can choose any of these three):
1. ‘Fichtes The Orphanage and Wolfs A Model Childhood are both, in very different ways, creative exercises in coming to terms with one’s own powerlessness.’ Discuss.
2. Compare and contrast the significance of changes in domestic circumstances during childhood for the narrative shape of TWO or MORE of the primary texts.
3. ‘Autobiographies of childhood expose and exploit shortcomings in child welfare which are perceived mainly in hindsight by the adult narrator.’ To what extent do you agree with this view in relation to TWO of the primary texts?
This is the list of the book you have to read in order to write the essay:
– Manhood, by Michel Leiris
– The Orphanage, by Hubert Fichte
– A Model Childhood, by Christa Wolf
The essay must have an introduction and a conclusion.