Suppose you were recently hired for a new position as the computer forensics manager at a medium-sized communications company. One of your duties will be to analyze, test, and select forensic tool standards for the company.
Write a four to five (4-5) page paper in which you:
- Analyze the five (5) categories of tasks performed with computer forensics tools and provide an example of a software tool that performs each task.
- List the questions you would ask when evaluating and selecting forensics tools. Select the question you believe is the most important and provide a rationale.
- Explain how a comparison table can assist a decision maker when analyzing computer forensic tools.
- Select one (1) Windows-based and one (1) Linux-based forensic software tool and create a comparison table analyzing the functions and sub-functions of each.
- Describe the benefits of the NIST’s CFTT project and how it can assist decision-makers in analyzing and selecting forensic tools.
- Create an expense budget for the tools you would consider utilizing at the company and provide reasoning and planned function of the selected tools.
- Note: Submit the expense budget as an exhibit for the assignment. It is not included in the required page length.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Compare and contrast the various types of computer forensic tools.
- Use technology and information resources to research advanced issues in computer forensics.
- Write clearly and concisely about topics related to computer forensics planning using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.