Diversity in the workplace focuses on similarities and differences all employees bring to the organization. Diversity such as education, cultural, gender, geographical location, and ethnic background should be encouraged and valued. Employees should consider how work policies, communication, and practices have a different impact on their colleagues.
Using the South University Online Library, search the article, “All of Us: Embracing Diversity in Healthcare.”
Based on your research, summarize your thoughts and provide answers or comments to the following questions:
- Discuss diversity in healthcare with examples and support from your research.
- Summarize any cited special characteristics and problems in the workplace regarding diversity.
Now, let’s read the following scenario.
You are just promoted to a health administration management position. Your organization currently manages a home health unit where you are responsible for seven RNs, three dieticians, two billing and coding staff members, one physical therapist, one social worker, one accountant, and one health administrator overseeing the administrative duties of the organization.
The community is culturally diverse consisting of Hispanic, Arab Americans, and American Indian populations. Additionally, your staff is diverse consisting of one male RN, several RNs near retirement age, two newly graduated dieticians, and a few staff members representing several cultures. You find the staff does not seem to work well together and there appears to be several groups who do not include others at the lunch table. You have a vision to develop the team to promote unity, increase motivation, and share the same vision for a successful collaborative effort. You think how you will gather information so you can further develop your plan of action to turn the unit from one where there appears to be miscommunication and misinformation to a well-functioning team unit.
Based on the above scenario, answer the following questions:
- As you begin to develop your plan of action, what important considerations will you address to improve the communication and collaborative effort among the group?
- What perceived or real barriers do you anticipate based on the wide diversity of the staff and patients? For example, do seasoned and newly graduated staff members develop team cohesiveness immediately? How can language barriers between the team impede proper communication across department lines?
- What potential conflicts can arise when you do not understand or accept cultural, gender, ethnic, or age diversity?