The purpose of this assignment is to create a better understanding of different cultural values and to use this awareness to develop competency in communicating in intercultural environments.
Imagine you are a supervisor in a manufacturing plant. You have an employee who consistently arrives 10 minutes after his or her shift has started. The employee’s shift starts at 8 a.m. and you have reminded the employee about this several times, but the employee continues to arrive late.
This consistent behavior of arriving to work late has started to affect the employee’s performance, as well as the morale of the other employees. You decide to talk with the employee.
- How will you handle this conflict, and what will you do or say?
- What specific persuasive methods will you use? Why?
By Saturday, January 30, 2016, post your responses to the appropriate
Assignment 2: The Importance of Listening and Responding in Effective Negotiation
The purpose of this assignment is to highlight the importance of listening and responding in negotiations and to identify ways to improve listening and speaking in various negotiation situations.
Consider a situation you observed or participated in where a negotiation occurred. This can be a situation at home as child negotiating a later bed time or a situation at work such as a co-worker negotiating for additional time off. An example of a negotiation is provided in the Webilography and is entitled: Classic Sesame Street: Ernie and Bert Can’t Communicate. Determine the kind of listening skills used in the interaction of your chosen negotiation.
Prepare a 3 page paper which addresses the following:
Respond to the following:
- Describe the negotiation you observed or participated in.
- Explain and describe what parts of the interaction employed effective listening and speaking in the negotiation.
- Explain and describe what parts of the interaction employed ineffective listening and speaking in the negotiation.
- Suggest and explain at least two alternative strategies which could have been used to improve communication within this negotiation.