800 – 1,000 words
- The U.S. has increased the number of laws that protect workers (e.g., Civil Rights Act, Equal Pay Act, Occupational Safety and Health Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Family and Medical Leave Act). Does this legislation replace the need for labor unions? Why or why not?
- Select 3 labor laws from the following list:
- Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890
- Railway Labor Act of 1926
- Norris-LaGuardia Act of 1932
- Wagner Act of 1935 (also called The National Labor Relations Act (NLRA))
- Taft-Hartley Act of 1947 (also called the Labor-Management Relations Act)
- Landrum-Griffin Act of 1959 (also called the Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act (LMRDA))
- Answer the following questions about the 3 labor laws that you selected:
- What was the purpose of the law; that is, why was it created? Describe the highlights of the law’s provisions.
- Did the law promote or suppress the union and how?
- How did this law protect consumers?