Answer the following questions, in a total of 350 to 700 words.
- Describe the structure of DNA and the steps of protein synthesis.
- Describe the relationships between the following terms:
◦ Chromatin material
- Use the following gene in protein synthesis:
▪ Show the mRNA.
▪ Show the tRNA.
▪ Name the amino acids that will be placed in the polypeptide chain. (Use the codon table in Ch. 10, Figure 10.8A of Campbell Biology.)
- A gene will direct the making of polypeptide chains, and polypeptide chains form proteins. All enzymes are proteins. Therefore, how would you explain carrying a gene for a trait that does not show up in the offspring?
- In order for DNA to pass genetic information to the next generation, DNA must replicate successfully. Mistakes in replication could result in major problems in heredity.
◦ Explain how DNA replicates.
◦ Describe the formation of the leading strand and lagging strand and include the enzymes involved.
◦ Why do the legs replicate differently?