Deliverable Length: 4-6 body pages
As the human resources manager, you are now ready to complete your diversity training manual to be used for training and sensitizing your employees on diversity issues. This final section will cover actual legislation. You would like your employees to not only be aware of issues dealing with discrimination that may not be addressed in legislation (the moral component) but to be knowledgeable of the seriousness of the discriminatory practices that have been made into law.
Affirmative Action is one of the most contentious issues; its intent and the discriminatory result of applying it in practice has become a major issue in today’s workforce.
Using this Web site (or any others you find), write a paper of 4-6 pages that will summarize the following points and become part of the training manual:
- What is Affirmative Action?
- What was the initial intent of Affirmative-Action legislation?
- What did the landmark Bakke v. Regents case conclude? Click here to read the case.
- What was the basis for the conclusion?
- What are the positive and negative results of Affirmative Action legislation?
- In your evaluation, is Affirmative Action legislation is still appropriate?
Ball, H. (2000). The Bakke case. Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas. Retrieved fromhttp://lilt.ilstu.edu/gmklass/pos334/archive/ball.htm
University of California Regents v. Bakke, 438 U.S. 265 (1978). Retrieved from the FindLaw Web site:http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=438&invol=265
Submitting your assignment in APA format means, at a minimum, you will need the following:
- TITLE PAGE. Remember the Running head: AND TITLE IN ALL CAPITALS
- ABSTRACT. A summary of your paper…not an introduction. Begin writing in third person voice.
- BODY. The body of your paper begins on the page following the title page and abstract page and must be double-spaced (be careful not to triple- or quadruple-space between paragraphs). The type face should be 12-pt. Times Roman or 12-pt. Courier in regular black type. Do not use color, bold type, or italics except as required for APA level headings and references. The deliverable length of the body of your paper for this assignment is 4-6 pages. In-body academic citations to support your decisions and analysis are required. A variety of academic sources is encouraged.
- REFERENCE PAGE. References that align with your in-body academic sources are listed on the final page of your paper. The references must be in APA format using appropriate spacing, hang indention, italics, and upper and lower case usage as appropriate for the type of resource used. Remember, the Reference Page is not a bibliography but a further listing of the abbreviated in-body citations used in the paper. Every referenced item must have a corresponding in-body citation.
Individual Project Rubric:
|Deliverable requirements addressed; understanding of material and writer’s message and intent are clear||35%|
|Scholarly research which supports writer’s position properly acknowledged and cited direct quotations may not exceed 10% of the word count of the body of the assignment deliverable (excluded title page, abstract or table of contents if used, tables, exhibits, appendices, and reference page(s). Inclusion of plagiarized content will not be tolerated and may result in adverse academic consequences.||20%|
|Critical thinking: position is well justified; logical flow; examples||20%|
|Structure: includes introduction and conclusion; proper paragraph format and reads as a polished, academic paper or professional presentation, as appropriate for the required assignment deliverable||10%|
|Mechanical – no spelling, grammatical or punctuation errors||10%|
|APA – deliverable is cited properly according to the APA Publication Manual (6th Ed.)||5%|