By successfully completing this assignment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assignment criteria:
- Competency 4: Analyze the impact of conflict on relationship-building.
- Compare perceptions about power and conflict with an opposite gender individual in a professional setting.
- Compare perceptions about how power is used in the workplace with an opposite gender individual in a professional setting.
- Compare beliefs that may interfere with being more open to discovering new information about conflict with an opposite gender individual in a professional setting.
- Competency 7: Communicate effectively in a variety of formats.
- Communicate effectively through writing, including the proper use of sources and APA style.
Interview someone in a business setting whose gender is different from your own. Compare your perceptions of power and conflict, and your perceptions of how power is used in the workplace.
To complete the assignment:
- Conduct the interview so that you have enough information to fill out the Gender Differences and Conflict Chart in the Resources. Fill the table out completely and in detail, and submit this as part of your assignment.
- Write a short analysis of your findings. Analyze similarities and differences that the two of you share about the three issues in the table:
- power and conflict,
- perception of the use of power in the workplace, and
- beliefs that you have that interfere with you being more open to discovering new information through conflict—as opposed to avoiding conflict altogether. Conflict is not necessarily negative and may lead to positive outcomes, so analyze and compare the degree to which you avoid conflict when you actually could learn something from it.
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA (6th Edition) style and formatting.
- Page requirements: 2–4 pages.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman or Arial, 12 point.
- Attach document in Microsoft Word format.