In this assignment, you will research and develop a presentation about the culture of a particular ethnic group different from your own (for example, Asian, Euro-American, Scandinavian, African American, Latin American, or Anglo-Saxon) as related to communication. This will help you increase your awareness of your own perspectives and the limitations of your perspectives. You will gain a better understanding of the link between culture and gender and how both impact communication.
Using the Argosy University online library resources and the Internet, research the culture you have chosen. Prepare a presentation with detailed speaker’s notes and use scholarly resources for support. Use the speaker’s notes area for explanatory comments and citation of sources.
In your presentation, include the following sections:
- Introduction to the culture
- Background information (history, government, cultural traditions [practices], health care practices, values, beliefs, etc.)
- An overview of gender roles in the selected culture
- Observations and analysis of the culture that distinguish the culture as unique
- A discussion of how what you have learned about the culture you researched has impacted your general view about communicating with others different from yourself
- A comparison of the culture you researched and your own cultural traditions, values, and beliefs
- Conclusions and recommendations of how to “bridge the communication gap” between the culture you researched and your own
Develop a 10 to 15-slide presentation in PowerPoint format. Apply APA standards for writing style to your work. Be sure to cite your sources using APA standards and include a separate slide(s) with a complete reference list of any resources used in your research.
By Monday, June 8, 2015, submit your assignment to the M5: Assignment 1 Dropbox.
|Assignment 1 Grading Criteria||
|Presentation provided overview and background of the selected culture.||
|Presentation addressed traditions, values, and beliefs and noted appropriate comparisons and differences between the two cultures.||
|Presentation recommended methods for improving communication between own and the different culture.||
|Presentation addressed the relationship between culture and gender.||
|Speaker’s notes provided supporting details.||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.|